Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Quad Build - Phase 5 (First flight)

First, un-tuned flight:

Went well. After the flight I did a auto-tune with did boost the P values from 4.5 to 4.85 it does seem to be a bit more stable. This day couldn't have been much better for auto-tune, no or very little wind and clear skies make the auto-tune work for about 4 minutes.

While in the first auto-tune I apparently hit my failsafe battery limit (admittedly set too high) which took over the quad and bumped it up to about 30' and then landed. At the time I didn't know this was going on and thought I had a fly-away scenario. Luckily I had my laptop hooked up via MAVlink which showed me it was in failsafe mode which my last setting was RTL.
(RTL was set to go up about 30', go to home, then LAND)

After the next flight went well I downloaded the logs from the quads flash. I learned that for most of the time the power draw was around 118W idle. This means that each motor was running around 28W (minus electronics/esc loss). The bench tests showed that I likely needed at least 30W to maintain my almost 1.1kg quad so this is looking rather good! Based on this I should be able to loiter for around 13 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment